Sunday, February 22, 2009

Larkin's Birth Story

I had been having contractions for two weeks leading up to Larkin's birth. Scot and I went in for a routine doctors appointment on Thursday afternoon around 2pm. My doctor checked me and told me I was dilated to a 4 and needed to go to the hospital for monitoring.

We headed to the hospital around 4pm fully expecting to be sent home. When we got to the hospital they monitored me for two hours . The contractions were getting more intense, but there was no real progress in my labor, so they sent me home around 6:30pm with a pain killer for the contractions.

By the time we got home I was tired and a little frustrated. I took a shower and around 8:30 pm I was ready to fall asleep when my water broke. Scot and I got dressed again and drove back to the hospital around 9pm. They checked me and told me I was dilated to 5.5 and that my water had not broken, but was leaking. Our nurse called for the epidural and by 11pm they checked my again and I was dilated to an 8. They broke my water manually at that point.

By 2am I felt like I wanted to push, so our nurse checked me and said I was fully dilated. She called for my doctor who had just arrived at the hospital and everyone started to set up for the delivery. At 2:30am my doctor was in the room, everything was prepped, and I was ready to start pushing. I gave three good pushes and by 3:05am and the fourth contraction Larkin was here.

No comments:

Post a Comment