Thursday, November 12, 2009

Swine Flu

Am I a terrible mom? It is a real question I am battling with lately. I have been doing a TON of research on the Swine Flu vaccine for babies, and I can't find any conclusive information on trials that were done prior to rolling out the vaccine. This scares me! It's not like I am anti vaccination. I had Larkin vaccinated with the regular seasonal flu vaccine, so it seems a little ironic that I am freaking out about one more vaccination ... but I am!

The other side of this argument ... I DO NOT want Larkin to get the Swine Flu and be super sick. I want her to avoid any possible hospital trips, medications, and pain this winter. Are scare tactics a good reason to vaccinate? Is the threat as bad as people think? One day I hear that it is an epidemic, the next day I hear that it isn't much worse than a regular seasonal flu, the next day I hear that infants are the highest rate of fatalities ... I am all turned around and tied in knots over this issue.

What are the side effects of the vaccine? How many infant fatalities are we looking at with the vaccine, how about fatalities with the H1N1 strain unvaccinated ... the "crazy mom" has kicked in!

Did you get the vaccination? Did you vaccinate your child? Do you have a source that I can't seem to find that has good information and statistics on the vaccination for children and babies??? I am making myself CRAZY over this issue!

4 comments:

  1. I have been having this same struggle. To be perfectly honest between the move and trying to find a new pediatrician...the boys haven't even had a reg flu shot yet. I, like you, am torn about the swine flu. Part of me thinks i should because everyone (it seems) around us is getting it, but the other part is going...but no one has died...they're sick for a week and then fine. I don't know what to make of the scare tactics vrs. the calmness surrounding the issue. It's nice to know there are other moms that are crazy about this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The H1n1 Just ran through our little valley and no one lost any children from it. YES mothers had to stay home from church and spoon feed their little ones. but you have to do that anyway when they get sick. I think if you stop and listen to your heart you will hear what is best for YOUR children. Never let anyone else tell you what is best for your own children if it does not feel right to you. God gave Mothers a built in radar detector for stuff like this. Do not be afraid to use it. :D and you are a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to get Coasten vaccinated as soon as I am able to find a location that has a supply of the h1n1 and seasonal flu, for children 2 yrs and younger! His ped. recommended that babys of all ages should get it, and I trust her opinion! I even got the vaccine, and I am not even eligible for it...... BUT I got it! I think the health department has the priority people mixed up, all babys of age should be 1st priority as well as those with underlying health conditions! Man, seriously I am heated over this topic.. Anyway I will get Coast both shots as soon as I can find a location that has not run out! I think all GOOD moms are concerned about whether or not to vaccinate their children, I get worried about sicknesses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just got back from Mexico and about the first day in Mexico Nathan caught a really bad cold, he had it the whole week we were there and 2 weeks after we got back. I had myself in tears because I was so scared that I didn't do everything in my power to protect my son from this flu. I made sure that Nathan was all caught up on his regular shots but I just could not find a place that could give him the vaccine for the swine flu. When i took him to see the doctor and I explained all the symptoms he had when he was sick they told me it was signs of the swine flu, I actually started to cry in the doctors office because I couldn't believe my son caught this horrible flu and I didn't do anything about it cause I had no idea. I think about it now and at the time I was doing everything I could to get him better, lots of sleep and lots of medicine. I wanted to take him to get this vaccine but I just couldn't, I listened to my heart and I felt I was doing everything I could to protect my son from this flu and even though he may have had the symptoms he is better now and healthy as ever. Trust your heart. If you really feel you need to get her this vaccine then do it. but if you feel you are doing everything in your power to protect your baby and you truly feel she will be OK then trust in that. Nathan is healthy as ever, I just took him 2 days ago to see the doctor and they went over everything, the told me they cant believe how healthy he is, apparently not many kids come in as healthy as he was during this time of the season. I'm doing something right, I know I'm not the best mom sometimes and I feel excatly what you are feeling, but it makes you a great mom to worry and I believe worrying is better then not so as far as I see it your doing a darn good job Amy. :) I love you! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete