Friday, October 8, 2010

The Parable of the Microwave

(No Emily, not that microwave parable :)

We used to have this microwave ...

it was big without being too big. It popped our popcorn. It worked like a charm. One day we decided to move and our new apartment came with a microwave, so we packed our little microwave oven into a box and put it away in a closet ...

The microwave sat on a shelf in our closet for a long time. One day we decided to have a garage sale and the box with our microwave was sold for a few dollars. We were so proud that we had turned our unused microwave into a few dollars to use for something else we needed and would use ...

A few weeks after our garage sale we moved. We packed all our junk into boxes and moved ourselves into a new apartment. As we unpacked and set up house we looked high and low for a microwave, but none was to be found ...

And that was when I realized what a fantastic microwave I had sold to some stranger at my garage sale. I didn't appreciate that microwave while we owned it. It was a good little microwave and I didn't even give it two thoughts as long as it was there when I needed it ...

How often do we do this? Have something wonderful in our life that we only appreciate when it is gone? I think the key is gratitude. I have so much to be grateful for. A new microwave is just one of many blessings I am counting tonight ...

Do you have a "microwave" in your life you could be more grateful for?

1 comment:

  1. So many microwaves, so little time. I frequently forget to be grateful for how very beautiful my life really is.

    Love this post!

    ReplyDelete