Friday, May 27, 2011

Pippi Longstockings


Larkin loves Pippi Longstockings!
In the spirit of Pippi ... we braided this impossible head of hair!
Larkin has impossibly thin and wispy hair. I cannot do anything with it. I usually just clip it out of her eyes {and she rips the clip out as soon as I turn my back}, so I was skeptical when she said she wanted braids.

It may seem like a small thing ... braids ... big deal right!?!
But if you tried doing this kid's hair every day you would celebrate Pippi pigtails too!

I remember when I was a little girl my mother would stand me in front of the mirror every morning and brush and do my extremely long, thick hair. Pigtails, braids, side ponytails {I was a child of the 80s}, clips, ribbons ... she spent HOURS on my hair every week!
Once she went out of town and my dad was left to try and do my hair every day. I was young, and my mom probably thought we would get along just fine without her, but it was rough! My dad tried to pull my long thick hair into ponytails and barrettes, but it was a disaster! The barrettes would slide out and the ponytails were lumpy and lopsided. I was grateful when my mom came home and took over hair duty again.

Doing Larkin's hair every day is a little like my experience as a child, except I am on the other end of the brush now. Larkin's hair is thin and slips out of the barrettes. It breaks when I put ponytails in. I brush it and spray it and put her in her car seat on Sundays only to show up to church with her hair looking like a rats-nest {and the clip is always MIA!} It is rough. Every day we struggle.

So today I celebrate Pippi pigtails!

No comments:

Post a Comment