Friday, April 23, 2010

"When you are in Love you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams." Dr Seuss


How do you say I love you? When I first talked with Amy on the phone I think we talked for three hours- and can I just say, falling in love with her, were some of the happiest moments of my life. So I don’t know about any of you, but somedays are not as easy as others; some weeks are not as easy as others. One thing I have learned being married to my wife is that I am one lucky guy.

I Say I love you to Amy all the time: when I am leaving for work, it’s the last think I say as I roll over to go to sleep each night. Yet somehow I never get tired of telling her these three little words. Most of the time they seem to get the point across, but every now and then I just don’t feel they really express what it is that I feel in my heart.

I love this amazing person, who some how is willing to put up with all the craziness that is me! I found someone that can make me laugh, someone I can share my fears with, someone to share my tears with. I know there are times when Amy is tired of all the sharing that Larkin and I expect from her, and yet somehow she finds something more to give us. I wish I had words to truly express how grateful I am to have such a wonderful woman to share my life with.

They say that a dream is a wish your heart makes, well if that is true, then Amy is the dream that I thought would never come true. And yet some how this dream has come true. Now like most dreams, not everything is roses, but I tell you what- I would rather suffer through all the yuckiness of the day to day with this woman at my side then to spend a minute with out her.

She does so much for me that I could fill pages if I started to write them down.

I was watching Larkin for maybe 20 minutes this afternoon, and let me just say...being a full time caregiver to this little 14 month ball of pure energy is HARD WORK!!! So just a shout out to all the Moms out there- I don’t know how you do it everyday.

I decided to make lunch, Larkin was crying and signing for "more" which she uses to mean "more food", "more water" or "more what ever it is that she wants". So I'm thinking ok so she is hungry, I am a chef I can handle this one.... ok so I know your smiling already but here goes, pull the stuff out of the fridge, close the door which only makes for more crying, pick up crying child, crying stops, set child down, return of crying... find snack for crying kid, it works as long as there are snacks in her bowl...ok kid is distracted and I think “you know what, I can do this”, make lunch, clean up my mess, speaking of mess why not empty the dish washer so I can put in the dirty dishes. I mean I come home every day and the whirl-wind (aka Larkin) is clean, happy, and in her pj's waiting for a story so I can put her in bed. So the kid is happy clean and full, the house is well… perfect I mean, Better Homes and Garden could come do a photo shoot, yet somehow in the five minutes that I have been watching Larkin books, pillows, toys are everywhere...she is crying and I feel like crying myself...so in the middle of grating cheese Larkin want to help me unload the dishwasher. She is happily playing with the once clean dishes...but I could care less, I mean all I have to do is put them back in the dishwasher. So I have maybe 4 minutes to put lunch together, load the top shelf of the dishwasher (out of Larkin's reach), run into the living room and put books, pillows, and toys back in their home, run back into the kitchen, check lunch on the stove, pick up the child who thinks it is taking entirely to long for her lunch to be ready and has let me know she is ready by holding onto my leg and you guessed it, more crying...If I hold her she is happy (how do you moms get anything done with just one hand?) ok finish lunch, put it on a plate and let it cool.... more crying...put her in her chair finally and she inhales the food.

Now let me just say I LOVE to watch Larkin she is so happy. She smiles and talks and once her tank is full again she is so much fun. While she is eating I am running around picking up the mess in the kitchen loading and closing the dishwasher, back to the living room for one final check...I am beat and so happy when Amy walks into the room. Being a MOM is hard work and after 20 minutes at it alone.... my hat is off to my lovely wife, who makes it all look so easy, who knows what Larkin needs before Larkin starts crying, who somehow has a clean house (I mean really how does she do it???) I love Larkin and had a blast tonight playing with her. She is so happy and is SO much fun to be with but I spent an hour cleaning the house up after she went to bed! So Amy, I hope you had a fun night out with the girls. I did my best to pick things up and somewhere between wiping the table for the 5th time today and restacking the same books for the 200th time today- I learned one more think to add to my list of things I love about you. You truly amaze me! Thanks for all you do- I love you

Scot

3 comments:

  1. Wow Scot, that was amazing. And such a nice thing to do for Amy, so that she knows how much you truly appreciate everything she does for the family! Coming from a MOM, it is such hard work, and extreemly tiring, but so so rewarding. Its nice to know that our husbands really do appreciate all that we do, ALL day long, over and over again... You are very sweet for writing this post, it brought tears to my eyes. We love and miss you guys to death!!!!
    Shana Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for saying such sweet things babe! I love falling in love with you over and over again too! You are a great dad and husband and I appreciate you taking Larkin duty for the day so I could have a little break. I love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Scot,

    Open a school for men. You rock, my friend! (And Amy is one hell of a woman, for sure!)

    ReplyDelete