Thursday, April 1, 2010

You Are What You Eat!

I sat down and watched the documentary: "Food, Inc." yesterday afternoon. The dvd has been laying around my house for two or so weeks and needed to be returned to it's owner. So my cinematic adventure began out of duty more than desire as I curled up during Larkin's nap time and prepared myself for a little information absorption.

I was shocked and disgusted and inspired all at the same time. I was shocked by some of the information that was presented. I am a bit of a germ-phobe, so most of the information regarding bacteria and contamination was old news for me, but the images of the animals and the workers being so mistreated in an attempt to fill the pockets of a few major food distributors was disgusting to me! A picture really is worth a thousand words!

A point that was mentioned in the film was that every time we purchase an item and slide it past the scanner at the grocery store we are casting a vote. We vote for convenience and chemical "upgrades", or for wholesome quality products. Money is always a factor in eating foods that are more pure. But with 1 in 3 children born after 2000 having to fight a battle with diabetes it seems like the price is worth it in the long run.

Having a chef as a husband makes the line between good food and food that is good for you a little blurry at times. It is going to be a tricky mission to eat low salt, low sugar, low fat, and organic in our home.

Truth: There is a part of me that really wants to be a hippy (not the love-in kind of hippy, but the organic, no makeup, crazy hair, free spirited kind of hippy). Maybe hippy is the wrong word, but hopefully you get the idea. I always get caught up in a "keeping up with the Jones' " mentality, but the problem is you can never keep up. You are always a step behind. I want to be free of this constant need to consume. I want to fill my days with family and friends and moments that have nothing to do with what I'm wearing, what I'm eating, or how my house is decorated ... I want to go backwards instead of always feeling like I have to keep up. I am going back to my roots, back to all the simple things that make me happy, back to food and music and pastimes that fill me up and make me feel better for having allowed myself to pause and enjoy them. I digress ...

Moral of the story ... I am on a mission. As far as food goes, I may only be able to take baby steps to get to my goal, but if we are what we eat, then I am terrified that I don't even know who I have become. I am going to take it one meal at a time and make a major effort to keep my family healthy. Wish me luck!

FYI: If you feel a need to watch the documentary "Food, Inc.", I recommend watching it away from any little kids. There are some very graphic scenes of animal cruelty which are not appropriate for tiny viewers!

2 comments:

  1. I have heard about this documentary. I know this posts was inspired by food, but I have noticed how different areas of my life have been improved when I focus on an aspect that I usually wouldn't put so much thought into. I have done a lot of thinking lately (maybe because I'm getting older (ekk!)) about things that are more important and areas I'd rather invest in, such as my family. I think you are right on about working towards doing what is right one step at a time for your family and not getting caught up with others. It's a good reminder to all of us who read your post. I am so glad to know you.

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck, I hate that because of money I am supporting the wrong food distributers and feeding my family unhealthy foods! Why does the cost of healthy organic foods have to be so dang expensive?! I walk into Whole Foods and am blown away with the prices and in all fairness really have no clue as to what I am looking at! I like you, have recently decided that I want to be hippy. I told Nate this a while ago and he is totally down. I am tired of trying to "keep up with the Jones'" cuz NO matter how I try and try to keep up, I am really always one step behind. I just want to be me! Thank you for your post, it is always a nice reminder that we need to be healthy, because our kids follow in our footsteps!!

    ReplyDelete