Tuesday, June 30, 2009

... and a side of sweet potatoes ...

Larkin has started eating "big girl food". I am making our own baby food, and so far so good. We started with sweet potatoes this week, and next week we are on to green bean and then carrots ... I am not sure how Larkin will love green beans, but I figure so much orange should be broken up unless I want an Oppa Loompa baby!


I was hesitant to start solids with Larkin. I wasn't sure how she would take the new textures, and I'll admit I was sad to see this new stage come. I wasn't quite ready for her to be that big yet. Our pediatrician assured me that her barfing would ease up if I would start the solids, so it was a trade off. Give up that new baby stage for less loads of laundry.


Making the baby food is not as hard as I thought it would be. I steam up the veggies (I roasted the sweet potato) and puree them in our food processor. They have great color and texture. I have been thinning them out a little to start with formula. I pop them in the freezer in a couple of ice trays covered in plastic wrap and put them in a gallon zippy when they are ready. Our freezer is now full of Gallon bags of baby food. Every night I pull out a few sweet potato ice cubes and put them in the fridge to defrost for the following day. I did order a few cups with lids online so that we can travel with food and not have to worry about the mess ... hmmm maybe that is a lost cause!


Congrats Larkin on being such a BIG girl this week!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Such a big girl. This kind of reminds me of the bricks of soup we had in our freezer on Knolls Hill... that would fall out and hit me in the head. Larkin is such a cutie and I'm glad she likes the sweet potatoes! Yummy.

    ReplyDelete